It may appear that these names describe the relation, emotion and action of Shakti with reference to Shiva, But what seems most naturally to worldly men as possible only between the lover and beloved, is quite realistic to the devotees as between devotee and Mother. The pains and pleasures of separation and union in the case of Divine Love are many times much greater, than those experienced by the most intense lovers of worldly people.
This is the idea underlying such names as Kaama-kotikaa कामकोटिका, Ramana -lamptaa, रमणलंपटा etc.
Many devotees have prayed, that they may have that craving for God, which the most shameless adulterers and drunkards have for their women and wine.
(201) Sharat-chandra-nibhaa-nanaa शरच्चन्द्रनिभानना - Having the face as charming as the moon of the most gladdening Full-moon day of Sharad शरद Purnimaa पूर्णिमा ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 129
(202) Chandra-mandala-madhyagaa चारूमंडलमध्यगा - Residing in the centre of the Moon's disc. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 240
To obtain long life,etc., and marital love with fidelity, respect and sacrifice Mother should be contemplated in the Moon's disc, especially on Full-moon day.
Shiva is supposed to reside in fire and Shakti in the Moon.
(203) Chaaru-rupaa चारूरूपा -Exquisite beauty. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 241
(204) Chaaru-haasaa चारूहासा -With a beautiful smile. "The Moon is Thy sweet smile" Oh Most Gladdening Mother !! ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 242
(205) Chaaru-chandra-kalaa-dharaa चारूचन्द्रकलाधरा-Possessing all the different processes of creating and spreading joy, as of the beautiful Crescent Moon. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 243
(206) Padma-raaga-sama-prabhaa पद्मरागसमप्रभा- Shining like the ruby.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 248
(207) Daadimi-kusuma-prabhaa दाडिमीकुसुमप्रभा - Of the hue of a pomegranate flower. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 560
(208) Ramyaa रम्या -The beautiful one. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 307
(209) Raajiva-lochanaa राजीवलोचना -With eyes like those of deer.
Raajiva राजीव means, "deer, fish, lotus." ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 308
(210) Ranjani रंजनी -Delighting. The name refers to the idea of the mental joy. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 309
(211) Ramani रमणी- Gladdener. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 310
The name gives the idea of joy by playing, laughing, and rejoicing
(212) Rasyaa रस्या - She who is to be tasted. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 311
The only joy source which once tasted will enslave you forever, and therefore to be tested again and again. The remembrance of taste never disappears or dims. By experience, self-denial and wisdom, one refrains from pleasures, but the desire for worldly pleasures remains latent and buried. These become extinct, only when higher joys of divine love are tasted.
(213) Raamaa रामा - Woman. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 319
It is not that Mother always likes to manifest Herself as the most beautiful lovely woman. She sometimes assumes the form of even an old hag.
In the Hindu scriptures, there is a description of Dhumaavati धुमावती one of the aspects of Mother. Deformed, restless,cruel-faced, dirty-clothed, dry, rickety, inauspicious-looking, with a winnow in hand, poverty-stricken, widow-like, with the crow as Her pet bird, etc.
Naturally, there are few devotees, who accept this form for their worship, but those who do, are favoured most speedily with the fulfilment of their desires.
A true devotees delight to serve any woman, in whatever form, however ugly, poor, crooked, criminal and sinful. All women to him are different forms in different bodies of Mother.
If women are pleased or displeased, deities also are pleased or displeased. If they are pleased, the family prospers. the country, in which women are respected and protected and taken care of, prospers. However, a woman should not mean one's wife, nor should that respect or help be an outcome of selfishness, slavery, lust or illicit love.
(214) Ratipriyaa रतिप्रिया - Beloved of Rati. Fond of loving and being loved.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 316
(215) Ananda-kalikaa आनंदकलिका-Bliss-Bud.
The bliss that the devotees and the whole humanity enjoy is but an infinitesimal part of this bliss. ललितासहस्रनामस्तोत्र,नाम क्रमांक 729
(216) Komalaangi कोमलांगी-Slender limbed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 721
(217) Komalaakaaraa कोमलाकारा- Of graceful appearance. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 437
(218) Sumukhi सुमुखी- Handsome-faced.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 459
The face of one, who thinks of Her handsome face, brilliantly shines with wisdom and Mother's Grace.
(219) Dara-haaso-jvalan-mukhi दरहासोज्वलन्मुखी Whose face shines with smiles. ललितता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 602
(220) Dara-smera-mukha-ambujaa दरस्मेरमुखांबुजा - Whose lotus face is wreathed with sweet smiles. The smiles are observable through eyes and Her conch-shell-like transparent neck. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 924
Dara दर means the conch-shell and Smera स्मेर means shining. Her face shines like a white conch shell, or Her neck resembles the formation of a conch shell and is so transparent, that Her smile appears both in the face, the eyes and the neck. Further, Dara दर also means fear. She whose devotee's face is always shining even in times of fear. At the time of the final dissolution, while the faces of others go pale, those of Her refugees and devotees are smiling.
(221) Premarupaa प्रेमरूपा -Image of affection. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 730
Love is mighty, mysterious, most popular and yet most misunderstood word. Through over-cautiousness about the abuse, this word has been extremely seldom used by writers of Hindu Scriptures.
Mother's Universal Religion says "Love All". Leave off everything. Practise this and this alone, " Serve All" is only an amplification of Love. Automatically godliness will dawn. Then begin loving God as well. Sacrifice and Cheerful Unconditional Self-surrender are also mere amplifications of Love.
Sublimation of Love secures a salvation.
(222) Priyamkari प्रियंकरी - Causing affection. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 731
(223) Maalini मालिनी- Wearing garlands.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 455
(224) Chandana-drava-digdhaangi चंदनद्रवदिग्धांगी- Her body is as if besmeared with the sandal paste. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 434
(225) Bisa-tantu-tani-yasi बिसतन्तुतनीयसी - Delicate as the fibre of the lotus stock. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक111
(226) Vyoma-keshi व्योमकेशी - With hair as black as the cloudy sky, decorated with flowers as twinkling stars. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 942
(227) Barba-raalakaa बर्बरालका- Curly haired.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 547
With hair of different attractive forms. The idea is that She has no special liking for a particular method of complexion or costume. She has not the hair and costumes most common to a particular nation.
(228) Nila-chikuraa नीलचिकुरा - Blue-haired. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 185
(229) Subhruh सुभ्रुः -Beautiful eye-browed.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 461
(230) Garvitaa गर्विता- Proud. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 856
She often sports with Her devotees assuming pride and says"How can you dare even approach me or think of me? Who and what am I? Who and what art Thou ? " and as soon as the devotee begins to weep, out of repentance for having forgotten the earth sky gulf, Mai wonderfully reverses the whole game.
The writer had this experience on several occasions.
One evening he was (mentally) thrashed by Mother, as if in these words " you brazen-faced insolent fellow! What is your worth? Where am I and where are you? You hypocrite! Which day have I told you, you are my son? That way, by one's own declaring, everyone would like to usurp the son-ship of a supreme Queen," etc.
I can't describe the pains. I was hesitating and almost quite unnerved."Am I wrong? Am I a usurper? Am I creating a hell for myself after I die? Have I sinned against religion to expound the theory of Mother and Son?" Shall I be punished for making Mother so very cheap?" I passed extremely excruciating painful hours. I thought I might stop the Mother moment. Let everything go on in the grandmother's old way of mass religion through fear, and mass religiosity of enjoyment, and viciousness under the mask of religion, superstition, ignorance and so on. " Let Mother be again Power. Let the world pray to Her terror." I decided to correct my blunder(?).
I was disturbed by a knock. It was about 9 p.m. Someone whom I did not know came to invite me to Satyanarayana worship सत्यनारायण पूजापाठ. I was not yet out of my painfully meditative mood. I followed like a moving machine to the place.
There were over a hundred men and more women at the place. The Satyanarayana सत्यनारायण पूजापाठ was in the honour of married pair and the husband, a young boy of twenty, was told something about me by someone. He had sent for me and the pair came to me to prostate for blessings. I knew nothing when they came near me; I was surprised. I was startled and got up when I saw they were coming to bow down to me, as if I were a saffron-robed Swamiji or Maharaj.
In the meanwhile, there was a great shouting in the female wing " Do not you see Ambaa Baai Mother?" Is he not Ambaa Baai?"
And most hurriedly all ladies one after another, came over and prostrated. I got startled. " The electric quickness, just as when a water tap begins to flow ( to flow for a few minutes only, after a whole day's stop), was almost frightening. I did not know, where to run away. It was a very awkward position. The men group was getting annoyed and furious. Said they," Who is this devilish man? and how foolish are our sisters, wives and daughters? why do they prostrate? Whom do they prostrate? Why do they not even look at us, their male relatives, to ask permission or assent?
They only hear ' Ambaa Baai, Ambaa Baai, Universal Mother, ". In about ten minutes, baskets of garlands were sent for and purchased. In a silver tray, six milkful tumblers came in, I took a sip. the rest was distributed.
The funny part was that the men group rebelliously refused" None sense !! who is this fellow!!" My only word within my own heart was "Mischievous Mother, Mischievous play". I understood Mother, She had teased me, annoyed me, made me weep, roll on the ground and go unconscious. She, however, was in the end, merciful enough to assure me ". Whatever She might say, She had considered me as hers. Let me not worry about being accepted either as Her son or Her slave". She expressed Her love through so many souls of Her sex.
A dream in the very night till further convinced me. In the dream, Mother was playing with me. She was playing Her dice deceitfully. She was quarrelling with me, though She was in the wrong. I was running after Her, almost to insult Her. She would come as near as surely to be caught, and would yet evade me and run away."
Mother sometimes takes pleasure in such plays. To enjoy the pleasure of seeing the devotee (firstly) and Herself (finally) being humiliated. She assumes pride. This pride by itself, being only assumed, gives Her pleasure, and on the act of allowing Herself to be humiliated by one whom She loves, and who has no other power except that derived from being the object of Her own Grace and Love, gives Her still greater pleasure. Play and play, and all play in the limelight of indescribable and immeasurable Love.
There are traditions of boy-devotees, with whom, Lord Shri Krishna had played cheatingly, and finally heightened their glory, by establishing their superiority to all other ordinary devotees.
Mother creates and scatters abroad Her play-toys here and there, in all parts of the universe, as samples, from which wise and loving-hearted souls may get the prompting to intensely love their God. They are of Her own making.
She has as it were, supreme egoism concerning the mastery of the Universe in a matter of its creation, protection and destruction.
The name under description appears really to mean pride. It is, however not the usual pride but one that has in it, the elements of love and humility a bit of show of indifference and unkindness just, for sportivity with Her devotees. It is a name, really of virtue, but made to appear as a vice, to increase devotees' love for Her.
Post a Comment