GROUP IThis group is a continuation of the same thread, on coming further down, to grosser life and dealing with qualities of routine human living.
(141) Nishchintaa निश्चिंता -Whose devotees are without care. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र,नाम क्रमांक 160
(142) Nirahankaaraa निरहंंकारा - Without egoism. Without the attachment of"I and Mine" or pride.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 161
(143) Niraagaa निरागा - Without passion.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 156
Mother grants the spirit of renunciation, which is the means of overcoming the six impediments, viz., desire, wrath, covetousness, bewilderment, pride, and envy.
(144) Raaga-mathani रागमथनी - Destroying relishfulness of devotees.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 157
By freeing Her devotees from passion. By Raaga here, is meant" Desire, aversion, and ardent attachment to life."
(145) Nirmadaa निर्मदा - Without pride. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 158
(146) Madanaashini मदनाशिनी -Destroying pride through meditation or experience. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 159
(147) Nir-mohaa निर्मोहा-Without bewilderment.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 162
Moha is the distraction of mind, confusion of thought and disappearance of discrimination.
(148) Moha-naashini मोहनाशिनी - Removing and raising beyond, the influence and chances of bewilderment.ललिता सहस्रनाम स.तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 163
For him who perceives unity under all diversities, and the temporariness and falsity, of temptation in all trying circumstances, there is no bewilderment and no sorrow.
(149) Nir-mamaa निर्ममा - Without self-interest or my-ness.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक164
Self-interest necessarily implies separateness and as Mother is beyond separateness, She is beyond all doubt, without self-interest.
(150) Mamataa-hantri ममताहन्त्री - The destroyer of self-interest.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 165
These doublets are to be subtly understood. It is just like an expert home teacher, so coaching up his boy, as to keep up the rank in the class, as also to be prepared in courses, both, those in arrears and those in advance. To explain one instance, (145) mean one who acts pridelessly and (146) means one who is purged out of any lingering elements that lead to pride.
(151) Nishpaapaa निष्पापा- Without sin. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 166
(152) Paapa-naashini पापनाशिनी - Destroying sin. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 167
By the repetition of Her Mantra and name, etc., She destroys the sins of devotees. The Shruti says, " Like the point of a reed in the fire, all sins of Her devotees are burnt up". " The devotee who is devoted to practising virtues and penance and who continually repeats (mantras), even if he always sinful actions, he is not afflicted thereby,. Sin never resides in the hearts of those who repeat (mantras), or offer oblations, or meditate, or make pilgrimages (going to saintly persons)". "The mass of sins, though as immeasurable as Mount Meru, is instantaneously destroyed on approaching Mother. He who is devoted to Durgaa is not stained even by committing heinous crimes, in the same manner as the lotus leaf is not affected by water full of moss". "The sinful actions of those who are devoid of Varna and Ashrama, ( caste and life order) and the wretched, by mere meditation on Mother, become virtuous."
As per Maai-istic ideal, it is only a delusion of oneself that he is a devotee if he has not risen much above the tendency of committing crimes and sins, although he may be most rigidly undergoing penances or performing religious duties and practices. These statements refer to clemency regarding sins of past and do not mean getting a blank cheque, for future criminal or sinful conduct.
(153) Nish-krodhaa निष्क्रोधा - Without anger.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 168
Anger is caused by the obstructions in the fulfilment of desire. Because She has no desire to be fulfilled, there is no cause for anger.
(154) Krodha-shamani क्रोधशमनी- Appeaser of anger. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 169
He who sacrifices, offers an oblation, or worships while angry, is deprived of all benefit and merit therefrom, as water imperceptibly leaks away of unbaked clay.
(155) Nir-lobhaa निर्लोभा - Without greed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 170
Because She is exceedingly liberal.
" Greed destroys all good qualities." A greedy Guru ( religious master) is no Guru. " He is the Guru who is, without doubt, the remover of doubt and expects nothing in the shape of money." Under Mai Cult Guru is a Mai and has to sacrifice for the Shishya (religious disciple), without any expectation of return as a mother.
(156) Nis-samshayaa निःसंशया - Without doubt.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 172
The greatest doubts are regarding the existence of Mother, the immortality of the soul, the Karmic Law and about the final success of goodness and truthfulness.
(157) Samshay-aghni संशयघ्नी - Destroying doubts.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 173
So long as real conviction regarding above is not there, solid progress does not begin. On the other hand, after that the conviction about the above is rooted, doubts regarding Mother's Grace and one's own progress and actual religious plane rise. On reaching that stage it is others who have to tell him that he is favoured with Mother's Grace, etc. In some form or the other, however, temporary doubts do remain, till the man finally merges in Mother. It is one of the characteristics of the mind to the doubtful, although it may be only for a few moments.
(158) Bhava-naashini भवनाशिनी - Destroying samsara, i.e., world-attachment.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 175
Destroyer of Bhava, i.e., one's own world as well. Mother, as stated elsewhere, acts as a surgeon as well. One of the mysterious ways of the mother is to make one, whom She loves the most, miserable to hasten his uplift, striking hammers after hammers and giving shocks aftershocks. In this sense, the word can also be interpreted to mean " Breaker of one's happy little universe." Property goes being squandered away, home collapses, beloved turns faithless, children turn disobedient, relatives become enemies, masters become cruel, sympathizers become helpless, dearest die, obliged go ungrateful, kindly-treated become prepared to swallow up, etc.
The last drop of relishfulness in anything else except Her and Hers is squeezed out as a bad blood from a boil, by all sorts of surgical instruments. She wrecks the little ship and leaves nothing for the ship-wrecked except One Hope in Her.
This revelation of the unpalatable truth should not scare away the immature or Kachchaa devotees. Devotees should know that higher and higher tests are laid, as the devotee goes higher and higher and yet at the same time, Mother is merciful enough not to prescribe an insurmountable test, beyond the capacity of the devotee. She prescribes the test fully considering the strength, worth and condition and circumstances and further it is She that arouses the inherent bearing power and grants the satisfaction of having passed through the ordeal most wonderfully.
(159) Nirvikalpaa निर्विकल्पा - Without false imaginations.
This means living a straightforward, pure and benevolent life. Without false imaginings, ill-founded notions, building airy castles, or making faulty judgments.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 176
Vikalpa is a notion conveyed by mere words, but of which there is no corresponding object possessing reality.
Nirvikalpaa also means She that is experienced in the finalmost stage of meditation where subject and object have both disappeared.
There are the principal stages during the devotee's approach to the Mother : -
(1)The material universe with relevant desire, knowledge and action therefor, gets thinner and thinner and is finally obliterated
and the only remains in the mental lake are:- Mother, devotee and all other devotees.
He sings " Let quarrel with Thee be of the most annoying type, but let there be no universe between us."
(2) Eliminating the animate universe of other devotees,etc., from the mental picture, by a reverse taunting process. He sings " Thou hast millions whom Thou lovest and art loved by but to me Thou art one and one alone."
(3)Establishing equality to the greatest extent possible, by himself forgetting the difference, and by believing, that Mother also forgets the insurmountable gulf of difference between Her and Her devotee.
He sings " Thou, forget thyself and make me forget myself."
(4) Establishing oneness.
He says," Thou art My Mother and I am Thy Son. I and Thou are one."
(5) Enjoying the bliss of oneness, with three things alone, the knowledge of I, Thou and the bliss enjoyed.
(6) The feeling of bliss disappears and what remains is I and Thou.
(7) " I " disappears. Only " Thou " remains.
The Nirvikalpaa Maai-Samaadhi is the stage, above these seven stages, when even "Thou" disappears and nothing remains, Neither " Thou " remains not even the remotest lingering notion or remembrance about, the inanimate universe, the animate universe, devotees, devotion, bliss, I and Thou. Nothing remains except," The One, The Everything, The All."
(160) Niraabaadhaa निराबाधा - Undisturbed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 177
Remover of all obstructions in way of true illumination of Her devotees. When it is realised that the appearance of silver in the shell is deceptive, the delusion gradually vanishes; there is no liability of such an error, for them on whom She has conferred Her Grace.