JAY MAI JAY MARKAND MAI
(794) Trigunaatmikaa त्रिगुणात्मिका - In the form of the three qualities. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 763
On a fair mastery, being obtained over the above stated gross forms of feelings, emotions, desires, etc., one should come to the close study of the causes of several emotions and of vices and virtues. Here all diverse effects are reduced to three primary causes, viz. , the three Gunaas- Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. All that we feel, think or act is the result of a particular
mental condition formed as a combination of the three qualities of activity (Rajas); Inaction (Tamas) and Sattva (Equilibrium).
All emotions are so many changes in head and heart. So far as the physical relation of these emotions and the material of the brain stuff are concerned, it has been found by the Hindus that emotions have an intimate relationship with the food you take. Gunas are temperaments or humourous reigning at a particular time overall thoughts, desires and actions resulting in and from a man.
The Sattva quality produces a predisposition for happiness, purity, clearness and true knowledge. Rajas for desires and efforts for attaining them and Tamas for indolence, perversion. disinclination to movement or change and unnatural tendencies. That food has an intimate relationship with thoughts is evident from the effects of intoxicating drugs. Food being pure, the mind remains pure.
Substantial, tasteful, oleaginous food like milk butter, fruits etc. increases the Sattvik quality.
Bitter, acidic, sour, saltish, overhot, pungent, dry and burning foods increase Rajas.
Stale, putrid, stinking, foul, remnant-like, unnatural and changed foods increase Tamas.
Fasts and prohibitions about food have a bearing on these grounds.
The idea about the three qualities and their modifications is expressed in the following names.
Trigunaatmikaa. She that is one with any one of the three qualities as also with their innumerable combinations. She in whom these three are in equilibrium.
(795) Nistraigunyaa निस्त्रैगुण्या - She that is devoid of, as also above the effects, of the three qualities. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 789
(796) Trigunaa त्रिगुणा - Basis of the three qualities. Mother is three- fold by sport.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 984
(797) Lopaa-mudra-architaa लोपामुर्द्रार्चिता -Worshiped as by Lopaamudraa. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 647
It may be noted that whatever is stated immediately above is more or less for an individual. Either the desultory progress in the ordinary God-fearing usual life, or knowledge or acquisition or practising virtues or trying to regulate mental brain stuff. They all indicate individual efforts and actions.
Next, we come to what is done in home life or family life. Here the sense may be taken to be that of worshipping and progressing in the manner of a respectful high class strictly religious family life, say by observances suggested for the householder's life. Lopaamudraa was, as is often previously stated, the wife of the great Muni Agastya.
This path includes so many methods of making a slow and steady progress. Vows as Navaratri नवरात्र, Satya- Naaraayana सत्यनारायण, Poornimaa Vrata पोर्णिमा व्रत, fasting, daily idol worship, Sandhyaa, temple-going, pilgrimage, charity, saint-service, religious-place-living, Scripture hearing and remembering, supporting Pandits and Shaastris, digging wells, constructing dhamashaalaas, all this come under this head.
(798) Kularupini कुलरूपिणी - The backbone of the religious householder's life. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 897
(799) Priyavrataa प्रियव्रता - Fond of vows. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 770
She is fond of vows, even though to any deity because all deities are Hers.
(800) Pancha-yajna-priyaa पंचयज्ञप्रिया -Fond of five sacrifices.
These are sacrifices performed by way of discharging one's duties to Devaas देव (deities), Pitris पितर (dead ancestors), Brahma ब्रह्म (finalmost God), Bhuta भुत (all elements) and Manushya मनुष्य (human beings).
If Yajna यज्ञ may be taken to mean methods of Yajan यजन worship, the five modes are Abhigaman, अभिगमन i.e., going to Guru (Master), Upaadaan उपादान (receiving instructions), Ijyaa इज्य(worship), Svaadhyaaya स्वाध्याय (repetition of Mantras) and Yoga योग (Meditation). Lalitha sahasranam 946
(801) Yajnaroopaa यज्ञरूपा -Mother Herself is the sacrifice. The sacrifice here referred to is the sacrifice of the massive type where Mantras are recited and oblations are given in the fire kindled in the altar. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 769
(802) Dikshitaa दीक्षिता - She is the person that is the initiator and initiated to undertake such a momentous work sacrifice requiring a vast amount of money and a vast number of men and materials, etc. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 695
(803) Yajnapriyaa यज्ञप्रिया - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 881
(804) Yajnakarti यज्ञकर्त्री - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 882
(805)Yajamaana-svarupini यजमानस्वरूपिणी - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 883
She is fond of sacrifices. It is She that sees the sacrifice successfully conducted and completed and it is She that is the sacrificer or the person who undertakes himself the expense, work, worry, responsibility, etc.
(806) Pratipana-mukhya-raakaanta-tithyi-mandala-poojitaa प्रतिपणमुख्यराकान्ततिथीमण्डलपूजिता -She that is worshipped in the family for every one of the fifteen days from the first Tithy (Hindu day) to full moon, and new moon. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 610
(807) Pancha-saukhyopa-chaarini पंचसंख्योपचारिणी - She that is worshipped as a family God mainly with five objects, viz., scent, flowers, incense, lamp (waving of light) and offering. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र,नाम क्रमांक 950
(808) Chatusha-shatyupa-chaaraadhyaa चतुःषष्ट्युपचाराढ्या - She that is worshipped by sixty-four different reverential worshipful ceremonial doings. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 235
(809) Shadadhvaatita-roopini षडध्वातीतरूपिणी - Transcending the six deities usually worshipped in household worship.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र नाम क्रमांक 991
On him whose mind is purified by the Mantras and worship of Shivaशिव, Vishnu विष्णु, Suryaसुर्य,, Ganapati गणपती, Devi देवी and Indu इन्दु or Indra इन्द्र, the knowledge of Mother, who is above all these deities, dawns.
(810) Bhagaaraadhyaa भगाराध्या - She that is worshipped through the Sun. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 715
The next common form of worship through the Sun by Gaayatri गायत्री which is considered to be the highest Mantra for granting purity, true knowledge and miraculous powers.
(811) Ravi-prakhyaa रविप्रख्या - Resembling the Sun and renowned for having been worshipped through the Sun externally and by meditating on the solar disc in the heart. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 596
(812) Taruna-aditya-paatalaa तरूणादित्यपाटला - Rosy like the morning Sun. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 922
Mother assumes different colours according to the form under which She is contemplated.
When She confers Grace for the attainment of salvation She becomes white in colour. In Her aspects as controlling men, women or kings, She becomes red in colour. In Her aspect of controlling wealth, She becomes a saffron colour, while creating enmity, She is tawny-coloured and while She is in the action of slaying enemies, She is black. In Her love towards Her devotees, She is rosy.
(813) Mahaa-kaamesha-mahishi महाकामेशमहिषी - The Queen of Shiva. The word Mahaa is used to distinguish this Shiva from the Shiva of Trinity. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 233
Next, we consider Mother's worship as Shakti. Here She is supposed to be a wife of Shiva as per Hindu conception.
It must be very clear born in mind that this is not Maai, the Finalmost Mother.
(814) Shivamurti शिवमूर्ति -ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 407
(815) Shivapriyaa शिवप्रिया -ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 409
(816) Shivaparaa शिवपरा - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 410
In the form of Shiva. There is no separateness of Shiva and Shakti. "He is Shakti Himself and is never separated from Her." Beloved of Shiva and Beyond Shiva because the position of Shiva depends on Shakti.
(817) Trinayanaa त्रिनयना - Three eyed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 453
(818) Tryambikaa त्र्यम्बिका - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 762
Shiva and Shakti are each conceived as having three eyes. The three eyes of Shakti are the Sun, the Moon and the Fire.
Taking Trinayanaa to be the name of Maai, She is so because She gives from each of Her three eyes the boons of illumination(Sun), the bliss of devotion (Moon) and fire of self-purification. Nayan नयन means path, and devotees are laid to Her through faith in Guru's word, by meditation about Her and observation of Her miracle of Her response and assistance and leading, etc. or by Shravan श्रवण or hearing, Manan मनन or contemplation and Nididhyaasan निदिध्यासन or reflection.
(819) Mahaa-pralaya-saakshini महाप्रलयसाक्षिणी -Witness of the great dissolution. After that the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh perishes, She is the witness of the great dance of Mahaa Shiva at the time of the great dissolution. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 571
(820) Mahaa-kailaasa-nilayaa महाकैलासनिलया - Residing in the great Kailaas, the abode of Shiva. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 578
(821) Sadaashiva-pativrataa सदाशिवपतिव्रता The devoted spouse of Sadaashiva. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 709
(822) Sadaashiva-kutumbini सदाशिवकुटुंबिनी - The protector of Sadaashiva's family.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 911
(823) Shambhu-mohini शंभुमोहिनी -Bewildering Shambhoo, who is above infatuation.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 954
(824) Dharasutaa धरसुता - Daughter of Himaalayaa.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 956
(825) Kaantaardha-vigrahaa कांतार्धविग्रहा - Having the half body of Her beloved Shiva. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 861
(826) Akaantaa अकांता -Beyond the conception of the wife of Shiva. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 860
Next is a higher conception where the combined form of Shiva-Shakti शिवशक्ती is worshipped as one form and as Shakti शक्ती, i.e., in this conception Shiva disappears, or if at all peeps, it is only as Her worshipper or narrator of Scriptures relating to Her.
She is अकान्ता Akaantaa which means that She is not the wife of anyone. Here She is Mother and not Father's wife. This conception very closely approaches Maai's माई conception. The subtle difference is that She is Mother here but as Power and not as Love which is the main conception about Maai माई.
(827) Savya-apasavya-maargasthaa सव्यापसव्यमार्गस्था - Standing in the paths Right and Left.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 912